*For reference only, we are not currently accepting full-time applications
Age : 18
US Citizen : Yes
High School Grad/GED : Yes
Valid INDIANA State Driver’s License : Yes
Ability to Read/Speak English : Yes
Vision : Yes, Must be able to pass NFPA1582 6.47 + 6.42 vision requirements.
College : Preferred
Academy Certification : Preferred
Prior Experience : Preferred
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES :
- Performs firefighting activities, including driving fire apparatus, operating pumps and related equipment, laying hose, and performing fire containment and extinguishment tasks.
- Performs emergency aid activities, including administering first aid and providing other assistance as required.
- Participates in fire drills and attends classes in firefighting, emergency medical, hazardous materials and related subjects.
- Operates radio and other communication equipment.
- Participates in the inspection of buildings, hydrants and other structures in fire prevention programs.
- Maintains fire equipment, apparatus and facilities. Performs minor repairs to departmental equipment.
- Performs general maintenance work in the upkeep of fire facilities and equipment; cleans and washes walls and floors; cares for grounds around station; makes minor repairs; washes, hangs and dries hose; washes, cleans, polishes, maintains and tests apparatus and equipment.
- Assists in developing plans for special assignments such as emergency preparedness, hazardous communications, training programs, firefighting, hazardous materials and emergency aid activities.
- Performs salvage operations such as throwing salvage covers, sweeping water and removing debris.
- Performs duties as a certified EMT-B or EMT-P, according to criteria and standards set forth by the department.
- May act as the fire captain, when necessary.
- Assists in department administrative activities as assigned.
- Assists in supervising other firefighters as required.
- Assists in training new employees as assigned.
Necessary Certifications : Job certifications as outlined in job description.
Hiring Process : Each applicant will submit an application in person at the Fire Chief’s office. Applications are only to be presented to the Fire Chief, Administrative Assistant or Township Clerk.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS :
- State of Indiana Fire Fighter I/II certification
- EMT-B or higher
- National Incident Management System (NIMS) certifications in ICS-700, 800, 100, 200
- Nationally Registered Paramedic preferred
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support Certification (ACLS)
- Basic Life Support Certification (BLS)
- Hazardous Materials Operations certification
- Possession of a valid Driver’s License with the ability to legally operate a motor vehicle within the State of Indiana
- Driver Operator Pumper and Aerial preferred
- Ability to wear respirators to include Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus
- Be able to pass a NFPA 1582 physical
- FireTEAM test score
- Pass physical agility test
To apply for full-time employment proceed to National Testing Network and go to “Find Jobs”. Then you can narrow down your search by job type (Firefighter) and by state. Additionally, you will need to download and complete the application below and turn it in person to the Fire Chief, Administrative Assistant for the fire department, or the Olive Township Clerk.
New Carlisle Fire Department Full-Time Application