Age : 18
US Citizen : Yes
High School Grad/GED : Yes
Valid INDIANA State Driver’s License : Yes
Ability to Read/Speak English : Yes
Vision : Yes, Must be able to pass NFPA1582 6.47 + 6.42 vision requirements.
College : Preferred
Academy Certification : Preferred
Prior Experience : Preferred
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES :
- Performs firefighting activities, including driving fire apparatus, operating pumps and related equipment, laying hose, and performing fire containment and extinguishment tasks.
- Performs emergency aid activities, including administering first aid and providing other assistance as required.
- Participates in fire drills and attends classes in firefighting, emergency medical, hazardous materials and related subjects.
- Operates radio and other communication equipment.
- Participates in the inspection of buildings, hydrants and other structures in fire prevention programs.
- Maintains fire equipment, apparatus and facilities. Performs minor repairs to departmental equipment.
- Performs general maintenance work in the upkeep of fire facilities and equipment; cleans and washes walls and floors; cares for grounds around station; makes minor repairs; washes, hangs and dries hose; washes, cleans, polishes, maintains and tests apparatus and equipment.
- Assists in developing plans for special assignments such as emergency preparedness, hazardous communications, training programs, firefighting, hazardous materials and emergency aid activities.
- Performs salvage operations such as throwing salvage covers, sweeping water and removing debris.
- Performs duties as a certified EMT-B or EMT-P, according to criteria and standards set forth by the department.
- May act as the fire captain, when necessary.
- Assists in department administrative activities as assigned.
- Assists in supervising other firefighters as required.
- Assists in training new employees as assigned.
Necessary Certifications : Job certifications as outlined in job description.
Hiring Process : Each applicant will submit an application in person at the Fire Chief’s office. Applications are only to be presented to the Fire Chief, Administrative Assistant or Township Clerk.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS :
- State of Indiana Fire Fighter I/II certification
- EMT-B or higher
- National Incident Management System (NIMS) certifications in ICS-700, 800, 100, 200
- Nationally Registered Paramedic preferred
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support Certification (ACLS)
- Basic Life Support Certification (BLS)
- Hazardous Materials Operations certification
- Possession of a valid Driver’s License with the ability to legally operate a motor vehicle within the State of Indiana
- Driver Operator Pumper and Aerial preferred
- Ability to wear respirators to include Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus
- Be able to pass a NFPA 1582 physical